FAQMost frequently asked questions - and answers.
1. General Questions
- How can I get the software?
- I downloaded the software. How can I start the program?
- Is the software free? Are there any license fees or other restrictions?
- How can I make a donation?
- Is there any active mailing list?
- How can I change the language of the program?
- I would like to see the software running in my native language.
- How many people belong to the development team?
- How long did it take to develop the software?
2. Astrological Questions
- How can I use the software?
- I calculated my chart. Where is the interpretation?
- I send you my birth details. Can you give me chart interpretation and remedies?
- I get wrong calculation results.
- Dasa start and end date calculations differ from other Jyotish software. What is wrong?
- How can I enter the time zone for a birth place in India?
- I need the feature "xyz" for my work. Can you add that feature?
3. Technical Questions
- I get errors when I try to compile the program on my Linux machine. What can I do?
- I see strange Latin letters "A", "B" etc. in graphical chart or text views. What is wrong?
- I see strange symbols (rectangles, spaces etc.) in the program. What is wrong?
- I get a message box telling me that Swiss Ephemeris Data Files are missing.
- Are mobile devices supported?
- The program doesn't run on my Windows 98 computer. Is that platform supported?
- Are the source codes of the program available?
- The program crashes. What can I do?
Information about compilation is available on the Installation page.
Details are described on the Maitreya's License page.
Please donate for religious purposes or for the poor and needy people on this planet.
On UNIX/Linux platforms the language settings are controlled by the environment variable LANG. Please read the Character Sets page for more details.
History of the Program page.
Getting Started Guide page.
You will find nevertheless something like interpretation in the Yoga View.
Please consult a good astrologer or one of the online Jyotish groups.
- You have a location in India and set the time zone to 5.3 instead of 5.5
- Birth data are not entered correctly. Please control date, time, location and time zone.
- Ayanamsa is wrong. Please remember that there are slightly different versions even of standard Ayanamsas like Lahiri.
- Some other configuration problem can be the reason (like topocentic coordinates, etc)
- You found a bug: please report it.
If not, compare Ayanamsa configuration or other properties (like topcentric coordinates etc.) in setup.
Feature Requests page
If this doesn't help: copy the console output and send it to the author. Don't forget to give name and version of the operating system. Be sure that you used the latest version of Maitreya software.
Read the Character Sets page for details.
Please read the Character Sets page for details.
Configuration/ Ephemeris page.
Details about the data files are described on the Ephemeris Data Files page.
wxWidgets (the underlying GUI framework) supports iOS and WinCE, but someone must do the work. Maybe it is tedious because the GUI layout is not designed for low screen resolutions.
It should be possible, but someone must support it.
Contact the author and give information about operating system (including version), version of the software and conditions under which the bug appears.